Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Chapter 22, so much has happened this month

SO much has happened this month. I wanted to blog the evening of the 20th, after watching the inauguration, but never got the chance. At school the new superintendent wanted all classrooms/students to have the chance to watch the inauguration. We started watching at around 11:30. Let me tell you, middle school special education boys really don't care overly much about all the stuff going on. We did talk about why this was such an historic event, and they got the main concepts, such as the first African-American president, it being the day after MJK day, and how just 50 years ago, no one would have ever thought it was possible. We talked about how there were many in our community, country and at the inauguration who lived through segregation, and can remember when our own school was a "white only" school. One of my student's grandmother is one of these people, and she came in the next day and talked with the boys a little about what their small town was like "back in the day." As I age, I realize just how many things have changed in my lifetime. in regards to prejudice and acceptance, we still have a long way to go. but we have also come a long way. I wonder where we will be at the end of the Obama presidency?
On the crafty front, Christine has been working on my sweater thing (aka the gray hole) and says it is almost done. I have been working a little on my embroidery squares of baby animals. I have 6 of the 12 done. These were started like 4 years ago. I have not done much on the yellow baby sweater, or the multi baby sweater. Maybe this weekend. I have been following a blag this week, about trying to live as a 1940's woman. I love it. I would love to try it, but not sure how to even start. so maybe I will do a little more research into the hows and wheres (to get supplies/books)
Oh, the big things about this week! we get the carpeting in the living room and hallway tomorrow! I will try and take pics (before and after) and then, this weekend, we get the new couch and chair! I can't wait.

No comments: